UW-L's Virtual Desktop
What is the virtual desktop?
It's a new service offered by UW-L
Information Technology Services that allows campus faculty, students and staff to
use their Windows, Macintosh, Apple iOS or Android devices
to connect to and use a Windows computer desktop similar
to those in the ITS Computer Classrooms and Labs. To use
the virtual desktop, you only need to load a small
software client on your device and have a fast Internet connection
(cable, DSL or campus).
This service is available on and off-campus, 24/7.
We need your feedback! Please fill out the online evaluation survey.
Once you have tried the virtual desktop, please complete the online feedback form
(http://goo.gl/vnw31U). We'll use the information we gather to make it even better. And thanks for your help!
Who do I contact with virtual desktop questions or problems?
You can call or email the Eagle Help Desk with support questions.
(608) 785-8774 or email@example.com.
IMPORTANT: Before You Get Started
The virtual desktop is non-persistent
meaning that when you log off, anything that you have saved to the
desktop or the C: drive is lost.
You must save all of your work
done using the virtual desktop to either your U
Drive, Google Drive or a USB Flash Drive. Do not save files to the virtual desktop itself.
Save regularly and save often.
If you are accidentally disconnected during a virtual desktop session, you can reconnect within 5 minutes and have your same virtual desktop session.
How do I get started?
- Go to https://virtual.uwlax.edu using your favorite Web browser.
- Depending on the device you are using you will be directed to download the VMware Horizon View Client software.
- Windows.......... Web page listing download options
- Macintosh.........Web page listing download options
- Apple iOS (iPad, iPhone, iTouch).........
iOS App Store
- Android smartphone or tablet.............Google Play
- Install the VMware Horizon View Client software or app.
- Add virtual.uwlax.edu as the default connection server.
- Finalize the Client software installation.
- Log into the virtual desktop by launching the VMware Horizon View Client software or app on your device.
- Sign in using your NetID and password.
- Connect to the General Desktop and begin using it.
- REMEMBER: The virtual desktop is non-persistent meaning that when you log off, anything that you saved to the
desktop is lost.
You must save all of your work to either your U
Drive, Google Drive or a USB Flash Drive.