- How much does it cost for an internet connection (ResNet) in a residence hall room?
There is no separate charge for a data connection. Each room resident has one data jack.
- Is Wireless available in the residence halls?
Yes, all halls have been upgraded to allow wireless access from student rooms. Though we have attempted to make coverage as thorough as possible, we cannot guarantee consistent levels of coverage throughout the building. It is therefore encouraged that students purchase an ethernet cable to plug in when they are in their room for optimal performance.
- Can I get computer training when I arrive on campus?
Yes. Free training for various classes is available from IT Support. Follow the link below.
- We are buying a new computer for home and our student will bring the old computer to UWL to use. Is that OK?
Most students use their computers for downloads, web surfing, email and application use for class assignments. Make sure the computer they bring is appropriate for the way it will be used. You can also refer to the IT website by clicking the link below for recommended hardware and software configurations for student's machines.
- Does UWL provide any FREE software for students, or, can students buy software at special pricing?
UWL does not provide free software. It is highly recommended that student machines have a full antivirus program installed. The UW System and Microsoft allows students to purchase software at special prices on the Wisconsin Integrated Software Catalog website. Follow the link below.
- What computer resources are available for students who do not bring a computer to UW- La Crosse ?
Each Residence Hall has a computer lab. Computer lab keys are obtained at the Hall Front Desk. Students can use a printer provided by the hall from these labs. There is a minimal per page charge for printing. In addition, there are excellent general access computer labs across campus available with extended hours for all students.
- Is there a place for students to print to from their own computer, or do they need to bring their own printer?
Students can print from their rooms or from the computer lab to a printer at the front desk. Printers are also available for a nominal fee across campus in all labs. Color printing is very limited.
- When I move in, what do I have to do to get internet access in my room?
You can purchase a data cord from the front desk of your hall for $5 and plug into your data port on your side of your residence hall room for optimal speed and performance. It is recommended that students have full versions of anivirus software installed on their machines as well as having windows updates set to automatically download to your machine. For help with any of these processes go to the following link on our ResNet website... or contact us at: email@example.com