Deadlines for scholarship applications vary! Check them early and plan ahead!
Scholarships through UW-L
Currently, the Foundation has five scholarships specifically aimed at women and/or WGSS students. The scholarship application form is available at the UW-L Foundation Office or online (https://uwlax.academicworks.com/). The five scholarships are:1)"Toward Self-Reliance" Scholarship. Requires 9 credits toward a Women's Studies Minor and a 3.0 minimum GPA overall in W-S. Preference given to students 25 years old or older; others may apply;
2) “OCW Jean L. Foss and Norene A. Smith Non-Traditional Students” Scholarship sponsored by UW-L Organization for Campus Women, for women 25 years of age or older, enrolled or accepted for fall admission;
3) "AVANT Award" sponsored by the local organization, AVANT;
4) “Marilyn Ondall” Scholarship Endowment Fund - full-time junior or senior; either a graduate of the Self Sufficiency Program or who has successfully completed (or currently enrolled in) at least one course in Women’s Studies; financial need to be considered; and
5) “PEO Chapter Memorial Award” - must be female; a senior [not necessarily 25 or older]; have at least a 2.65 GPA; financial need to be considered. Preference given to students 25 years of age or older on most awards.
6) "Women's Studies Founders, Graduates, and Activists Fund Award" - Should be a WGSS major or minor. Should be a sophomore or junior. Should have a 3.5 GPA in the WGSS major or minor. Essay required: How does your life and your academic studies reflect feminist commitments?
DEADLINE: On or before Feb. 15th at 4:00 p.m. See specifics about how to apply at the Foundation website.
Also, check out the Foundation website for other scholarships -- you might be eligible for more than one. Go to https://uwlax.academicworks.com/ or for more information, or call the Foundation Office at 608-785-6803.
Don't forget to talk to our Financial Aid office: http://www.uwlax.edu/finaid/SSP's Locally Grown Scholarships fund some of our SSP graduates. Email Andrea Hansen for more information.
Scholarships Outside UW-L
Wisconsin Women Equals Prosperity! lists scholarships as well as job opportunities and internships
Graduate scholarships in women-related fields: Our national organization, NWSA, sponsors several scholarships for those of you going on to grad school in women’s studies-related areas. See http://www.nwsa.org/students/scholarships/index.php for more information.
Wisconsin Women in Government Scholarships: http://www.wiscwomeningovernment.org/scholarships.cfm
The Point Foundation funds scholarships for LGBT students. This is another national source. http://www.thepointfoundation.org/apply.html
The PFund (Philanthrofund) of Minneapolis also funds LGBT students. Awards range from $2,000 to $5,000 and the application is online at http://www.PFundOnline.org
Here's a great list of LGBT scholarships! www.ysu.edu/stu_org/ysunity/Scholarships.htm
Web-based search engines:
The Metropolitan State College of Denver's Institute for Women's Studies and Services maintains a very good list of national scholarships that you'll find interesting: http://www.mscd.edu/~women/schola-f.htm
http://finaid.org/scholarships/ This site provides some category searches
The College Board (they write the SAT exam) scholarship search engine: